Welcome to American Baseball Foundation
Since its inception in 1994, the American Baseball Foundation Inc. has been successful in its role of an instructional center for both under-served youth in United States communities, (through the ABF Baseball & Academic Skills Instructional Course (BASIC); and also for youth from diverse communities on a worldwide basis.
AMERICAN Baseball Foundation – Lead Off Dinner
On January 25th, 2013 Craig Kimbrel related his 3rd grade teacher’s admonishment to rewrite his essay on Craig’s dream of becoming a Major League pitcher, as the goal seemed too difficult to be achieved. Much the same as another Alabama product and Braves pitching great, Tim Hudson (2009 ABF Lead Off Dinner) who was told repeatedly that size was a disqualifying factor in the quest for a berth in pro ball, Kimbrel had to ignore the negative vibes as he won starting berths at Lee High School ,Hanceville Community College, and now the star closer for the Atlanta Braves.
The American Baseball Foundation Inc. is pleased to offer BASIC summer programs in conjunction with BASIC partners and supporters.
10th Annual Barons Summer BASIC Program, Regions Park Birmingham, June 17-21, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
Inaugural Summer TEAMS Program, Rudd Middle School, Pinson, AL June 24- August 2 10:00 am to 12:00pm. Program runs Monday through Thursday with no program from July 1 to July 5.
The American Baseball Foundation
principal programs include:
Pitching instruction is provided through these methods:
- Individual lessons for pitchers/hitters at St. Vincent’s Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama
- Parent/player clinics in which instruction is given to the youth player and parent providing an opportunity for family education
- Pitcher development courses for volunteer coaches who desire to assist their players in prolonging their careers. The international version of the ABF pitcher development courses runs for three days
- Research related to pitching and the causal factors in youth pitching injury
Reading, math and sports programs for underserved children in the USA-
- Baseball & Academic Skills Instructional Course (B.A.S.I.C.) combines reading and math related to baseball along with sport skill instruction that has encompassed baseball, softball, soccer, tennis
- BASIC summer lasts for one or two weeks, offering elementary school children a full range of activities that relate to character development, healthy lifestyles and love of reading
- BASIC after school that reorganizes BASIC summer curriculum into two-hour blocks for children who yearn to broaden their school experience
- BASIC in school that delights children during the school day with a combination of reading and safe baseball/softball activities in a fun environment.
International Baseball Development
- ABF educational programs for developing baseball countries include coach education courses, equipment donation and specialized schools related to pitching with the objective of partnering to provide a higher technical level to the youth playing baseball in the hosts countries.
- International competition in the form of taking youth teams to underdeveloped countries to promote international exchange both culturally and in the sport setting.